Topic: Setup help for a new user

Hi Stefan,

Installed my FIS-Control in my Mk4 Golf today and I'm very impressed so far. I have a couple of questions about how things work though, since I've not quite managed to get it to behave as I want...

I've managed to update to the newest software, set up the basic settings and get my bootlogo collection loaded through the Android app. (kudos to you for this, it works really well!)

Observations:
1) In the Settings/Collections menu, the Group is prefilled to 255 on all entries. However going 'up' from 255 doesn't wrap around to 001 like it does with the measurement view. Is this a bug?

2) Manual section about Units: "The control units are normally using the metric unit system for their readings.
But you can also choose imperial or US unit system. The FIS-Control will convert the readings accordingly.
So liters will be gallons, kilometers will be miles and Bar will be PSI."
Please could you add a 'UK' option? We use miles and PSI but litres...

3) Strange things happen if I use lowercase text in the Preset labels (missing letters, wrong letters...) - although this works fine if I use capitals. Maybe another bug?

4) As I use OSX I am having trouble getting the 'send settings' option to work. I need to be connected through Bluetooth before I can set up the xmodem receive file options, but the FIS-Control doesn't activate the Bluetooth unit until after you hit Send Settings, and then it's too late..! I am however able to use the configurator and upload the settings file using the Android app. It would be really awesome if the Android app could receive as well as transmit...another feature request? wink

5) I have set up two collections which work as I expect, but I cannot get the measurement labels to work. In fact they don't work in presets set to Measurement either. Basically I want to achieve the same effect that you previously posted in this picture:
http://fis-control.de/images/2016-08-20_-_MAH04098snapshot.png

Could you please have a look at the attached settings file and see what might be the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Post's attachments

testsettings.dat 64 kb, 8 downloads since 2017-10-15 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

2 (edited by nick 2017-10-15 02:44:01)

Re: Setup help for a new user

To clarify the above - my collection labels are working but the individual measurements are not labelled. See the attached pic.

I did notice that some of the settings were not being updated when I uploaded a new settings file (example: bootlogo delay was set to 300ms in the car, then I uploaded a settings file with a 250ms delay and the preset labels changed but the bootlogo delay stayed at 300ms. I don't know if that helps!)

Post's attachments

IMAG2052_1.jpg 93.81 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

nick wrote:

Hi Stefan,

Hi Nick!

nick wrote:

1) In the Settings/Collections menu, the Group is prefilled to 255 on all entries. However going 'up' from 255 doesn't wrap around to 001 like it does with the measurement view. Is this a bug?

I wouldn't call it a bug, because this is how I programmed it. But you are right, the behavior is not very consistent.

nick wrote:

2) Manual section about Units: "The control units are normally using the metric unit system for their readings.
But you can also choose imperial or US unit system. The FIS-Control will convert the readings accordingly.
So liters will be gallons, kilometers will be miles and Bar will be PSI."
Please could you add a 'UK' option? We use miles and PSI but litres...

Yes, I will do.

nick wrote:

3) Strange things happen if I use lowercase text in the Preset labels (missing letters, wrong letters...) - although this works fine if I use capitals. Maybe another bug?

This is not a bug of the FIS-Control. There are some instrument clusters that don't have lower case letters in their font. Your Mk4 cluster might be one of them, so you just can use upper case letters.

nick wrote:

4) As I use OSX I am having trouble getting the 'send settings' option to work. I need to be connected through Bluetooth before I can set up the xmodem receive file options, but the FIS-Control doesn't activate the Bluetooth unit until after you hit Send Settings, and then it's too late..! I am however able to use the configurator and upload the settings file using the Android app. It would be really awesome if the Android app could receive as well as transmit...another feature request? wink

It should be no problem to receive the settings with your Mac. First select SETTINGS -> FLASH MEMORY -> SEND SETTINGS -> BLUETOOTH at the FIS-Control. The Bluetooth module of the FIS-Control is now active and is waiting for the Mac to connect. Open the Terminal tool on your Mac and receive the settings file via XModem (if you see a "CRC option", enable it).
You are right that it would be a nice feature for the Android app, too. I am not very experienced when it comes to Android apps. I will have to look how to save received files to the Android file system, so that other apps can access them.

nick wrote:

5) I have set up two collections which work as I expect, but I cannot get the measurement labels to work. In fact they don't work in presets set to Measurement either.

This one is easy: You have to enable every label you want to use with the check box in front of each line in the configurator.

nick wrote:

To clarify the above - my collection labels are working but the individual measurements are not labelled. See the attached pic.

I did notice that some of the settings were not being updated when I uploaded a new settings file (example: bootlogo delay was set to 300ms in the car, then I uploaded a settings file with a 250ms delay and the preset labels changed but the bootlogo delay stayed at 300ms. I don't know if that helps!)

The uploaded configuration file does not get active directly. The FIS-control loads the settings file at startup.
Hint: After loading the settings file to the FIS-Control, do NOT select "Save settings", because this would overwrite the settings file with the settings that are currently active in the FIS-Control.

Thanks Stefan, you're the man! I didn't realise the label checkbox was there. When I ticked them and set everything to upper case it worked perfectly smile

Now to finish tweaking everything...

Nick

BTW, new firmware is available on my website. I changed that the "imperial units" show litres instead of gallons.

That was quick - thanks a lot! smile

Hi Stefan,

I have another question. Is it possible to do calculations on measured values before display? I realise you already do this for the unit conversions but this is hidden from the user...

The reason I ask is because my engine ECU outputs air-to-fuel ration (AFR) as a lambda value (eg 1.088). This equates to a lean burn of 16:1 air:fuel; 1.088 is multiplied by 14.7 because this is the stoichiometric ratio for gasoline. I can't easily multiply by 14.7 in my head - but FIS-Control could!

If this isn't currently possible I don't know the easiest way to add it in - maybe you could add a 'multiplier' field for each item in a collection and do this calculation before display? This would limit you to only displaying AFR as part of a collection but this is probably the most useful anyway as you may want to look at the raw lambda values in the measurement or OBD views. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Nick

I already added a feature for AFR. But it might not work with all ECUs yet, as they could use different formulas to transmit the lambda values.
Please enable SETTINGS -> USER MODS -> AFR. Save the settings and restart the FIS-Control by turning the ignition off and on again.
Report if this works for you.

10 (edited by nick 2017-11-05 20:24:55)

You're a genius. This works perfectly, thanks! smile

I only have one issue left - although almost everything works I have never been able to use the FIS-Control to connect to the ABS controller. When I select 03 as the control unit and then try to enter measurement the ABS light flashes in the cluster and the display then shows "Communication with control module failed". If I use ECU Info it says it's using KWP3027 at baudrate 10417, does this seem right?

I already tried increasing the interbyte delay and block delay in Tweaks but this hasn't helped. Fast Init is turned off. Is there anything else you can suggest?

Thanks,

Nick

Sorry, the FIS-Control does not support the KWP3027 protocol. I actually don't even know it.

Whoops, that was a typo. It should have read KWP2027.

When I use VCDS it connects fine but says it's using KWP2000 instead of KWP1821, is there any way to force which protocol is used for which control unit? If I can't make it work I may have to just add in the CAN wiring to my harness, I think you said before that it now works with the Golf 4..?

Ah ok. KWP2027 should work with the FIS-Control. That you can read the ECU INFO with the FIS-Control sbows that it can communicate with the ABS control unit.
Have you tried to read the ABS control while driving? This may not work. As a security measure, the ABS control unit only allows diagnosis while vehicle speed is 0 or at least very low.

I should have clarified - I never saw any data from the ABS module. The display shows "Connecting..." while the ABS light flashes on the instrument cluster and then after a couple of seconds goes blank and shows a down arrow. After pressing the Down button on the stalk it shows the baudrate, protocol and number of attempts briefly (before giving the "...failed" message). Using the Measurement menu item this doesn't happen, it just shows a group selection with stationary dot and no data.

Ok. Sorry, I can't analyze the problem from here.

OK, no problem. I'll let you know if I work it out smile

How to see lambda value 14.7 and lower numbers on higher rpm?
I'm from Norway, sorry for the bad English

Friendly greetings
Rune Digerud

I'm not sure, if I understood your question.
The FIS-Control can show all values that can be read via OBD or from separate sensors.