Topic: How to code information for labels?

Hi Stefan
My FIS Control is working well on my TT but I've only completed half the installation.
I have not yet added labels to my data displays.  I've had a look at the Configurator (English translation) but I need some instructions on how to complete the table.  Is there a guide somewhere?  I need to know which boxes to fill in, which don't need filling in, etc. I had a look at Steve Franks' post for his VW but not enough detail on completing the Configurator.
Once uploaded via Bluetooth (another challenge for me!) will it override the coding I have already put in (through the stalk) or should I clear all that first?
More questions later!
Thank you
Kerry

Re: How to code information for labels?

If you already did some configuation, I suggest to send the current settings to the laptop first:

FIS-Control: SETTINGS -> FLASH MEMORY -> SEND SETTINGS -> BLUETOOTH

Now you can pair your laptop with the FIS-Control. After that open the bluetooth settings on your laptop and look for the assigned COM port (outgoing connection).
Open a terminal tool like TeraTerm an open the COM port:

Laptop: File -> Transfer -> Xmodem -> Receive -> CRC

This will transfer the settings to your laptop.
You can open the settings file with the online configurator and edit the label fiels for the presets and the measurement values.
After you saved the new config file, you will have to send it to the FIS-Control:

FIS-Control: SETTINGS -> FLASH MEMORY -> LOAD SETTINGS -> BLUETOOTH
Laptop: File -> Transfer -> Xmodem -> Send -> CRC

Thanks Stefan.  Unfortunately, I have not already used the Configurator.  The data I have on the screen presently comes direct from via OBD, and the sources were entered by means of the stalk.

The problem is the Configurator has hundreds of data boxes which obviously are not all necessary, and I don't know how to enter the data into the Configurator to code the FIS Control.  I am looking for a manual or guide on how to use the Configurator.

Secondly, you have given me some settings to send to the laptop.  But it's not clear where I enter those settings or how I send them.

My apologies - I'm not very tech-savvy!  I don't even have a smart phone, although I believe my laptop has Bluetooth loaded

If you export your current settings and load them into the configurator, there is not much that you have to add there.
The labels can be set at "Labels for measurment values".
Every row is for one measurement value. So for example if you want to give the fourth value of the group 115 of your ECU the label "BOOST", you should set it like this:
[x], [01 - ENGINE], CAN [ ], Group [115], Value [4], Label [BOOST], Show unit [x]

If you still have Windows XP on your laptop, you can use the installed HyperTerminal to transfer the setting to/from the FIS-Control. If you have a newer Windows version, please download TeraTerm:
https://en.osdn.jp/projects/ttssh2/down … -4.92.zip/

I'm afraid here's a lot I don't know about this process.  How do I "export my current settings"?  From the car? How do I load then into the Configurator? 

Where is "Labels for measurement values"? 

The version of Configurator I'm using is this one:  http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a … nfig.html.  It doesn't have any communication tools or drop-down menus so I don't know how it talks to the FIS Contol box inside the car. 

I have Windows 8 or 10 on my laptop so I'll look for TeraTerm. 

So basically you fill in the labels you want on Configurator, then transfer it to the car using TeraTerm.  Is that right?  I haven't used this technology before.

You don't need to use a translator for the configurator page. There is an English version:
http://www.fis-control.de/config_en.html

I explained how to export the settings from the FIS-Control in the second post of this thread:
Goto SETTINGS -> FLASH MEMORY -> SEND SETTINGS -> BLUETOOTH in the FIS-Control.
Now connect your laptop via bluetooth to the FIS-Control (Pin is "1234").
Start TeraTerm and goto File -> Transfer -> Xmodem -> Receive -> CRC

You will now have a config file on your laptop. Load this file in the configurator and edit the fields you want. Save the settings and send the file back to the FIS-Control.

I will try to provide a video tutorial in the next weeks as I see that this is a little complicated for people who never used such tools like TeraTerm.

Thank you Stefan.  I would really appreciate a tutorial.  I grew up in the pre-computer age, didn't see my first computer until I was over 40 and as a result I'm always struggling with anything more advanced than Word or Excel..

Thank you for your patience with an old codger :-)

I wonder if there is a simpler way to load labels onto the FIS-Control?  I downloaded Tera Term to my computer but can't get it to run.  There are online guides available, but I find them completely incomprehensible.  They seem to be written for computer geeks!  They also seem to assume you are using Windows XP which I no longer have loaded.

None of it is making any sense and I am tearing my hair out as well as wasting a lot of time

TeraTerm also work with newer Windows versions.
If you can tell me at which point you stuck, I will try to explain how to proceed from there. Else you should wait until I find time to do a video tutorial.

OK.  I have downloaded teraterm 4.92 onto my laptop, but I can't open it.  It is a compressed file. 
It has no .exe file to execute or open it. 
Windows doesn't recognise it and has no obvious way of opening it.  It wants you to choose a program or app to open it, but doesn't offer any guidance on what to choose.
There seem to be several online options for opening compressed files but none of them seem to work.
I tried several including Crafty File Viewer but they don't do anything useful. They ask if you want to buy apps for cleaning up your file directory etc.
There are several online guides to teraterm including https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/te … rm-windows but they are all quite technical and seem to be based on Windows 7 or XP which has a completely different system.  I can't see how they can be applied to Windows 10.
I also checked some video tutorials on teraterm but they assumed a high level of technical knowledge without which they are incomprehensible.
This seems to be where I am stuck.  I hope if I can open teraterm I will be able to follow the instructions above.
Thanks

Are you able to help Stefan?  I need to either run teraterm or find a simpler method.

Thanks

You have already downloaded the TeraTerm ZIP file, right?
Do a right-click on it and extract the files. There should be a ttermpro.exe file now.

I have extracted the files, but as I said Stefan there is no .exe file.  There is a ttermpro application file, but I can't open that.  It just tells me "Invalid host".

"Invalid host" is an error message from TeraTerm. You have selected "TCP/IP". That is wrong. You have to select "Serial" and choose the COM port that is paired with the FIS-Control.

Stefan – I think there’s a misunderstanding here.  I’m not at the stage of trying to communicate with the FIS-Control.  I’m still trying to open tera term.  I haven’t selected “TCP/IP” or “Serial” or anything else as I haven’t yet got into tera term!

I extracted the files from the compressed tera term folder and it told me there were (from memory) 86 files extracted.  I looked at these, but none of them is an .exe file.  There are a lot of .dll files, a lot of Application files, Help files etc but nothing resembling an .exe file.  I tried to open some of these in case they would provide some help, but no good.

I’ve tried to run teraterm-4.92 but my system won’t recognise it (even with a complete filepath/address).  Is there another way of launching an application without an .exe file?  Windows 10 doesn’t seem to recognise it.

Cheers

Windows hides the file extensions be default. Look for a file named "ttermpro". That's the one you have to start.

I think I tried that file already.  I'll have another look.

18 (edited by kermac 2016-10-06 05:54:44)

Clicking on ttermpro opens a dialogue box.  I've taken a screen print but I don't know if it will reproduce in this medium.  I'll try:

Looks like nothing happened.

The dialogue box has a radio button for TCP/ICP at the top, and a button for Serial at the bottom. However, there is no way you can select the button for Serial - it's fixed on TCP/ICP.  I tried to change the default settings but nothing worked.  I tried every option in the various menus but again nothing changed the default setting in the dialogue box.  I got a different error message each time.

I accessed the teraterm Help facility and the Help box opened with a range of options, none of which worked. 

I have no idea how to use teraterm.  It's very old, so maybe some of the links have broken?

I feel I'm wasting my time with this application.  I need either a user manual that works or a different application altogether

You are on the right track.
Before you can connect to the FIS-Control with TeraTerm, you have to set the FIS-Control in the correct mode:
SETTINGS -> FLASH MEMORY -> LOAD STARTLOGO -> BLUETOOTH

Now search for new Bluetooth devices with your laptop and pair the FIS-Control (PIN code is "1234").
Windows will add two serial ports to your system. When you start TeraTerm now, you will be able to select "Serial" and choose one of the ports. Only one of them will work, so you might have to try both.

You can now continue like I described in the second post of this thread.

OK.  So it looks as if teraterm doesn't operate independently - you have to already be connected via Bluetooth to the FIS Control at one end, and presumably have the Configurator ready to go at the other end.

It would be good if this was explained in the teraterm Help file (which as I said is empty!)

I'll let you know how I go.  The time difference means I can only exchange one post per day.  But with luck other FIS Control owners will also learn something.  I bet they are all much smarter than me and have already figured this out smile

More frustration!  I have just spent two hours sitting in the car trying to send labels to the FIS-Control. 

I followed the instructions in your second post precisely.  The laptop and the FIS-Control were paired and data seemed to be transferring (blue dots running across the page on the Bluetooth screen).

However, it was not possible to find where the settings on my laptop were going to.  I tried searching every folder on my system but there was no settings file.  Eventually I got a message “File transfer not completed”. 

I wondered if I should have entered a new file name in the box on the ‘CRC’ screen to send the settings to and tried this, but it made no difference.  The FIS-Control was talking to my laptop but the data was going nowhere.  I wonder if your instructions missed a step somewhere?

Eventually COM Port 4 disappeared, and later COM Port 3.  I don’t think it was anything I did.

You say I should “open the settings file with the online Configurator” so I looked for the settings file with the Browse button.  But again, there was no settings file.

After two hours I gave up.  I’m obviously doing something wrong.  All I want to do is to load up some labels so I know whether I’m looking at Water temp, Oil temp or Intake Air Temp etc.

Are you able to suggest where I’m going wrong?

Thanks

When you are in the "Tera Term: XMODEM Receive" window, you can select where to save the settings file.
The default folder seems to be the Tera Term program folder. You might find your settings file there.

23 (edited by kermac 2016-10-08 10:19:20)

The only file in Tera Term which was modified today or yesterday (ie it was not in Tera Term when I downloaded it) was created by me and saved it in Tera Term.  I then made sure the laptop was going to save it to that Directory and file.  But the file is empty. I checked all other files in the Tera Term folder but none have any data or settings in them.  They are all months or years old so they can't have been modified in the last 24 hours.

The only clue I can give you is that the "Tera Term: XMODEM Receive" window started off saying "Protocol: XMODEM (CRC)" but after a few seconds this changed to "XMODEM (CheckSum)".  I tried it several times and it always did the same thing.

I also tried every other option I could find available including Y and Z Modem.  Nothing seems to work, although Bluetooth keeps telling me it's paired and it looks as if something's happening.  It's just not going anywhere, and none of the other items in the XMODEM window change (Packet#, Bytes etc).  If it was sending I guess they would have values after them but they're blank

Hi Stefan
Are you able to give me any advice on my post of 7 October?
Thanks
KM

I will do a tutorial video for you tomorrow.