Re: How to code information for labels?

Thanks Stefan

Wow, doing a screen capture is not as easy as I thought. Here is my first try:
https://youtu.be/2eTrsIlG-v0

28 (edited by kermac 2016-10-20 08:13:09)

Hi Stefan
I finally was able to take another day off work to try and get on top of this problem.
Thank you for sending the video tutorial.  It proved quite easy to follow. 
I deleted previous copies of TeraTerm and (empty) Settings files from my laptop, and started again, carefully following the procedure in the video which was exactly as I had done it many, many times before.  The video doesn't mention that you need to be connected to the FIS-Control in the car via Bluetooth, but I guessed that before I started (some people need to be told EVERYTHING!).
Once I got to the XMODEM - Receive screen, nothing happened.  Except that the Protocol changed itself after a few seconds from XMODEM (CRC) to XMODEM (checksum) as it did last week.  And as last week, no data arrived. 
I had changed the Baud rate to 115K, and when it didn't work I tried several different Baud rates.  but it made no difference.
I think the problem is that the Protocol changes itself from CRC to checksum.  I've tried everything but can't solve this problem.  Everything else, including Bluetooth, seems to be operating normally.  Bluetooth was paired at all times with the FIS-Control.
Do you have any answers please?  I feel I'm wasting days at a time and I have other things I want to do.
Thank you
KM

The Baudrate does not matter for connections via Bluetooth. I only had to set it to 115200 baud because I used RS232.

Have you tested all COM ports that are shown in TeraTerm?

There were only two ports shown in Tera Term - 3 and 4.  It will only receive data in 4. 

As before, the ports disappeared after a while and I couldn't find them again.  I have rebooted the computer but still nothing.  I tried to do a Restore but had no Restore points set. 

I did some research on the internet - Windows 10 has a problem with serial ports (or are they "virtual" serial ports?) and many users complain they have none from the time they download Windows 10.  At least I had some for a while, but now they have disappeared.

There is an online fix - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … b46?page=1 - but some users complain this causes other problems.

I couldn't find any mention of serial ports or comports in Device Manager or anywhere else on my computer.

It looks like you need to be a computer expert to complete this process...

Another question Stefan - when you are in TeraTerm, in the XMODEM Receive screen, it asks you for a filename to download the data to (about 1min 20 through the video).  You selected Downloads - settings.  But what file is this?  Did you create ityourself?  Or is it part of the TeraTerm suite of files?  Do you know what type of file it is? 

I have tried creating a file called 'settings' and selected this file in TeraTerm but it doesn't download the data to that file (or to any other file).

Of course, this may be because of the COM Port problem...

TeraTerm will receive the settings data from the FIS-Control and store it in a file. I named the file "settings" and placed it in my Download folder. You can call the file whatever you want and place it anywhere on your PC. Just remember where you put it, because this the file you want to open with the online configurator.

Thanks Stefan.  However, please see previous post - I think the problem may be with the actual/virtual comports in Windows 10.  Some W10 users have complained they have no comports.  I used to have them, but they disappeared for a while.  Now they seem to have disappeared permanently.

This process will not work without comports.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

The COM ports should appear as soon as you paired your laptop with the FIS-Control via Bluetooth.

As I said Stefan, they did appear when the laptop was paired with the FIS-=Control.  Then they disappeared and have not reappeared

I made a new video: https://youtu.be/5J4lN_znIsc
Though I explained everything in German, it might be helpful for you, as I used an English version of Windows and had the menu language of the FIS-Control set to English.

37 (edited by kermac 2016-10-29 07:38:50)

Thanks Stefan.  Unfortunately, your new video still doesn’t address the problem: I no longer have any com ports.

I have tried opening a new connection in Tera Term, but the only option it gives me is TCP/ICP.  I can’t choose Serial because the box is greyed-out.

If I try selecting Com Ports in Tera Term SetUp – Serial Ports, the top box is greyed-out because there aren’t any serial/com ports to choose from.

If I open Manage Bluetooth Devices (when in range of the car) it no longer finds anything to pair with or connect to.  I choose More Bluetooth Options – Bluetooth Settings – COM Ports and there are no com ports listed there.  They have gone.

My Com ports disappeared off my laptop a couple of weeks ago and even when I try and connect through Tera Term and Bluetooth they don’t return.

Of course, even before my com ports disappeared, FIS-Control still wasn’t transferring data.  Is that also a problem with the Com ports or  different one?

I don’t know why my com ports disappeared or where they went to, but it seems to be something to do with the process of communicating with the FIS-Control.

I’ve been trying to set this up for five weeks now.  Are we anywhere close to an answer please? Maybe it's a problem with my laptop or Windows 10? 

It is difficult when we can only exchange one post per day (and none at weekends).  PLus I generally don't get much time during the week to experiment with this technology.

KM

Please try to pair your laptop again with the FIS-Control.
Please remember that you always have to enable the Bluetooth module of the FIS-Control first. For example if you want to send your current settings from the FIS-Control to your laptop:
SETTINGS -> FLASH MEMORY -> SEND SETTINGS -> BLUETOOTH
You will see a blinking triangle in front of the BLUETOOTH line. That means the bluetooth module is active.

No you can pair your laptop (PIN: 1234). After pairing, the COM ports should be available. If this is not the case, it is a problem of your laptop/Windows. Do you have someone you can ask for help when it comes to Windows problems?

39 (edited by kermac 2016-10-30 06:18:35)

More hours sitting in the car trying to get my laptop to communicate with the car...

The good news is my com ports came back. Sometimes #3 works, sometimes #4.  No consistent pattern.

I deleted all my previous files and started again exactly as the video showed.  Suddenly FIS-Control was sending data to my laptop.  I opened the file and entered two labels at the bottom of the Configurator page as in the video, saved the file, and uploaded it to FIS-Control.  No problems.  I saved the new settings. 

The bad news? No labels on the screen.

I switched off the ignition and tried again.  One of the two labels appeared briefly right at the bottom of the screen, then disappeared.  The top of the screen was empty except for "21 C" (coolant temp) as before.  The second preset (oil temp) had no label at all. 

I tried again several times during the afternoon, saving new labels in the Configurator but it would not save the new data I entered no matter what I called the file or where I tried to save it.  After about three hours with the ignition (and the radio) switched on, the battery went flat.

I will try again next weekend.  The most disappointing thing is that it sort of worked - accepted one of the new labels but put it in the wrong place and it was only temporary.  I was hoping it would appear permanently next to the Water Temp reading at the top of the screen until I changed to the next preset.  Surely this is how it is supposed to work?

Anyway - a little progress!

Please send me your config files via email and I will have a look at them.

41 (edited by kermac 2016-10-31 12:39:25)

Hi Stefan

I can't send attachments via email on the forum and it seems I can only attach one file at a time on this system.

Here is the first successful file I transferred to FIS-Control.  None of the later ones transferred properly.  Do you want the later files as well?  I think I would have to send them one by one.

At the moment I have no labels at all on the screen.  In the car I mean

Kerry

Post's attachments

settings 64 kb, 4 downloads since 2016-10-31 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

There are no labels in that config file.
And there are some "USER MODS" enabled, that shoud not be enabled in your car. Please disable them all.
You can do this with the FIS-Control in your car. Go to SETTINGS -> USER MODS and disable all marked entries. Then save the settings with SETTINGS -> SAVE SETTINGS.

I can't open most of these files as they don't open with any of the available apps.  I think I can open the .config files but not the .dat files or the ones with no extension like this one.

However, it should have data in the first line of Labels (down at the bottom) including Controller (01 - engine), Group and Value numbers and "Coolant Temp" in the Labels field.

I'll send you another one tonight from my laptop at home.  I'm sorry Stefan - this is all beyond my level of expertise

You can open and edit the files with the configurator.

Stefan
I have tried opening all the files in my folder with Configurator.  Some have one or two labels the first time I open them, the next time no labels. 
I have never enabled any USER MODS.  I'm still learning to walk.
I will send you the files one at a time as I can't send them all together.  This seems to be one weird system. 
Here's the first one

Post's attachments

settings - old 64 kb, 1 downloads since 2016-11-01 

Here's the second

Post's attachments

settings 64 kb, 1 downloads since 2016-11-01 

Here's the third

Post's attachments

fis_control.dat 64 kb, 1 downloads since 2016-11-01 

The fourth (it seems to be a "partial download")

Post's attachments

fis_control.dat.4q3yc97.partial 64 kb, 1 downloads since 2016-11-01 

The fifth (it doesn't recognise this file for some reason = "You did not select a file for upload")

Sixth and last

Post's attachments

fis_control 10.dat.e5tvr8c.partial 64 kb, 1 downloads since 2016-11-01