Topic: Android notification app

I installed the app on my Samsung Galaxy S8 with Android 9 but I just get the "app keeps stopping" error message.

Re: Android notification app

Sorry for that. I somehow expected problems with Android Oreo and Android Pie. Unfortunately I only have older phones for testing.

I will try to get my hands on a newer device to prepare an update of the app.

Hi, a new notifiaction app is available. It should now work with newer Android phones as well:
https://www.fis-control.de/mmi.html

Don't forget that the phone has to be paired for hands-free with the car and also with the FIS-Control.
Also the app needs permission to read the Android notification bar. To allow this go to the Android settings -> Apps -> Special permissions -> Notification access and enable the FIS-Control notification app there.

Thanks. It installed OK. On app settings "Permissions" I have "no permissions required". On "Notifications" I have "app icon badges" and "FIS-Control Notification/Sound".

The permissions are easiest to find when you just enter "Notification access" to the search field at the top of the Android settings menu.

I just updated the app, so that it opens the notification access settings automatically during first start.

Thanks. I am having a bit of trouble with this, but it was a while since I last configured my FIS-Control.
I updated to the latest FW but then it wouldn't work.
I assumed that in deleting the FW first, my data was lost, so I uploaded background and needle again.
But when I tried to upload settings I couldn't find the option. I only found MM: Send Notification.
So I uninstalled the uploader app and went back to the 26/8/2018 version which I had a copy of.
Now I was able to upload my settings, but it still wouldn't work.
I am now assuming that my old .dat file is no longer compatible with the new FW so I'll create a new one.

Yes, that is true. I had to change the format of the config file.
But you can load the old config file to the web configurator. You only have to pick the measurement values again. All labels and the positions of the gauges are kept.

Yes, I have done that and restored my previous settings.
I also see the new notifications icon on the FIS-Control MMI screen, but nothing happens when my phone shows a notification. I have definitely enabled FIS-Control Notifications.
In the App I see "Package: de.fis_control.notification". Does this have anything to do with the MMI: Send Notification option which appears in the latest version of the uploader app? Have I missed a step?

Also can you confirm if there is a problem with the latest uploader app. As I stated in my previous comment, I do not get the MMI: Send settings option in the latest version and I had to revert to the previous version.

Oh, now I see that this a little confusing. I renamed the "MMI: Send settings" to "Send settings" because it also works for the older FIS-Controls, so it can be used for the FIS-Control MMI and also for the FIS-Control 2.2 and FIS-Control light.

Please ignore the "MMI: Send notification" option in the uploader app. This is completely replaced by the new notification app.

Do the following:
- Turn of the ignition and close all FIS-Control apps
- Turn on the ignition
- Manually start the notification app and click "start service"
-> Now you should see the notification icon on the FIS-Control status bar
-> Now the FIS-Control should show WhatsApp notifications

If this works, you don't need to start the notification app manually, as it will be automatically start when the Audi headunit connects to the phone for hands-free.

All OK apart from the showing notifications. But I may have made an assumption: I was focusing on the email part of your release note "There is a new notification app for Android that forwards WhatsApp and eMail notifications to the FIS-Control". I don't use WhatsApp but I do use the Outlook App for e-mail and I was hoping it would work for SMS text notifications too. Both are enabled in the Android Notifications settings. Any chance they can be made to work?

Yes, I can also make Outlook and SMS working.
I just need to know the package name of their notifications.
You can sse them if you open the FIS-Control notification app manually and press "start service". Now you will see an info about every received notification in the text field of the app. This info includes the package name.
Just tell me that names and I will include them into the app. Add the moment I just show packages that include "whatsapp" and "email" in their package name.

Sorry Stefan I missed your reply until now.

SMS package: com.samsung.android.messaging
E-mail package: com.microsoft.office.outlook

vielen Dank!

Hi, I added both packages.
please update to the new notification app on your phone and try if it works:
https://www.fis-control.de/mmi.html

Thanks Stefan, it works - this is a great feature :-)

I have a few questions:
1) The very first time I tested it the notification displayed for less than 1 second and then disappeared without my doing anything. Then for all tests after that it stayed until I cleared it. Is this expected?
2) It took me a while to find out that I can clear the notification by holding down MODE for a couple of seconds - is this correct as you designed it?
3) I assume that it is only able display the latest notification?
4) Whilst a new SMS simply replaces the last one (if I did not clear it), the email is different. If a second one arrives before I clear the first, the display changes to just "2 messages" and there does not seem to be a way to see the second email. Is this expected?
5) Pushing my luck here - can you make it generate a sound when a notification arrives?

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

1) The FIS-Control shows the notification like they are shown on the phone. The could be some reasons, why a notification is just shown for a very short time.
2) Yes, that is how I designed it.
3) Correct. I don't want to do complicated stuff, just inform the driver that a new message arrived.
4) At the moment this is normal behavior. I see the same here at my side. This "summary" of received messages is actually done by Android. But I might find a way to work around this.
5) No, the FIS-Control can't generate a sound. But your phone should be able to do that ;-)