Topic: Please help me to order the correct unit

Hi all,

I am in the process of ordering a FIS-control for my car:

VW Passat Variant 3B5, 9/1999 (model year 2000) with instrument cluster  3B0 920 842 A, large MfA, previously fitted with VW radio radio and navigation (connected to the cluster via a red plug). The radio / nav is no longer used, replaced by an aftermarket radio.

I asked some questions by email to turbozentrum.de about the unit I should buy but I am now confused with the answers I received.

I was told that for my car I would need the model corresponding to the Passat 3BG. Is that correct? The manual says 'from 2001'..

I was told that I need to connect one of the cable adapters to the red connector.  But the manual says in the 'installation' chapter for the 3BG:

Plug the connectors of the cable set into the FIS-Control.
Socket A: 2-pin plug with black shrinking hose of the blue cable set
Socket B: 2-pin plug with yellow shrinking hose of the blue cable set
Socket C: 6-pin plug with black shrinking hose of the green cable set
Socket D: 6-pin plug with red shrinking hose of the green cable set
Socket E: not used
Socket F: not used

So what should be connected to the red connector of the cluster?

Please can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Re: Please help me to order the correct unit

Hi,

to be honest, I am also not 100% sure.
Normally the clusters for the 3B should have "919" in the part number, because the "920" indicates that it is a CAN bus cluster.

I suggest the following: Order the FIS-Control for VW Passat 3B (till 2001) and also follow the installation instructions for the Passat 3B.
If it does not work, I will send you the cable set for the CAN bus cluster for free.

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your fast reply.  One of my problems is that I live in the Azores, and even shipments with the likes of Fedex, UPS and DHL take the best part of a month to get here at best, so I would really like to get this 'first time right'.

If I understand it correctly the FIS-Control hardware units for the 3B and for the 3BG are the same, the difference is in the supplied cables?

Can you please have a look at the attached document where all the 3B Tacho pinouts are listed.  My car is from 09-1999, apparently without CAN, but with datalink to the radio / nav via the red connector. Please have a look at the section for 'Fahrzeuge 05.99 -> 04.01' .  I think you will be able to tell me what I need.

Thank you so much for your help!

Post's attachments

Pinbelegung_Tacho_VW_Passat_3B_3BG_mit_und_ohne_CAN.rtf 10.84 kb, 3 downloads since 2021-11-14 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hi, yes the FIS-Control box itself is identical for all cars.

Have you had a look at the backside of your instrument cluster? Is there a red connector?
If yes, then "FIS-Control for VW Passat 3B (till 2001)" is definitely the right one for you.

Hi Stefan,

Yes there is a red connector.  Thanks for your help! I know what to order now.

Cheers,

Wouter.

Please provide feedback here, once you have installed it.