Topic: How to set up Collections?

I've just been looking at the latest User Manual and discovered a facility named Collections.  This allows the user to display six values from different Groups at the same time . 

I wanted to do this so I could have more than one value on the screen but this was not possible unless you used Overview, meaning all your values had to be from the same Group.  There are no groups in my ecu that have four values that would be useful to have on the screen.  So this must be a firmware update?

Is it possible to upload it to my FIS-Control?  My screen is monochrome (but not missing any pixels...)

Vorsprung durch Technik!!

Re: How to set up Collections?

If you haven't updated to the current firmware, I suggest to do that.
You can find the firmware on my website. To upload it, press and hold the reset button on the bottom side of the wiper stalk and turn on the ignition. Now transfer the firmware file with TeraTerm, just the same way you do for the config file.

The easiest way to setup the collection is the configurator. Go to the Collection section.
You will see 4 collections with 6 lines each. If you want to have the boost (that is the fourth value in the measurement group 115 of the engine control unit) in the first line of your collection, enter "group: 115" and "value: 4".

When you are done configuring your first collection, you will have to select that collection in one of your presets. Make sure to select the correct control unit ("01 ENGINE" for example) for the preset. As "group" choose one group that is used in the collection (e.g "115"). Now comes the important thing: As "value" give the number of the collection you want to see. So if you want to see your first collection, enter "1".
As "view", select "Collection". Thats it.

Thanks Stefan.  I'll try this in the next week or two.

I should have done it before loading the labels, but only spotted it in the latest User Manual after I had done that little job

I haven't done this yet but I guess you use the same method for adding labels as before? - ie type them into the Configurator?

Yes, labels can only be set with the configurator.

6 (edited by kermac 2016-11-17 08:45:50)

Still working on this Stefan...

First - all groups/values in a collection must come from the same controller, right?  eg 01 Engine or 17 Instruments?  Or can you mix controllers in the same collection?

Second, what is the maximum number of characters for the labels?  I have been working on 13 with individual value displays, but the pictures in the latest manual suggest Collections will be different.  The first two pictures are of colour screens where the number of characters seems to vary with the length of the value + unit (ie "Luftdruck 970.0 MBAR" or "Regime Moteur 0 RPM".  The third picture is a monochrome screen (like mine) where the size of the font is larger and it only seems to allow 2-3 (or possibly up to 5-6) characters.  Can this be changed by the user or is it determined by the type of screen in your car?

And one more question - this is not clear in the Manual.  Can the values in a collection only be the ones already in the presets?  ie are you limited to a total of nine values in the four collections, just displayed in different combinations?  If more than nine, how do you input the labels for each value in a collection?  Do you use the boxes at the bottom of the Configurator?

Thanks again

7 (edited by kermac 2016-11-17 08:39:29)

stefan@fis-control wrote:

If you haven't updated to the current firmware, I suggest to do that.
You can find the firmware on my website. To upload it, press and hold the reset button on the bottom side of the wiper stalk and turn on the ignition. Now transfer the firmware file with TeraTerm, just the same way you do for the config file.

I pressed the reset button and turned on the ignition.  But nothing appeared on the screen.  I tried it again, tried pressing the up button twice, started the engine, switched off the engine and switched on the ignition again without pressing the reset button.

I pressed the up button, the down button, held them in for five seconds, pressed thwm twice for long and short times.  In short, I tried every possible combination but my FIS-Control display has disappeared since I first turned on the ignition today.

How do I get my display back?  And how to upload the current firmware without losing the display again??

Thanks Stefan

kermac wrote:

First - all groups/values in a collection must come from the same controller, right?

Yes, they have to come from the same control unit. You can not mix engine control unit and instruments.

kermac wrote:

Second, what is the maximum number of characters for the labels?

The FIS-Control allows up to 33 characters for each label. How many of them will fit in one row of the screen depends on:
- the screen resolution
- the font
- the length of the value
- if you show the unit of the value or not

So it is actually impossible for me or the FIS-Control to determine the best length. You will have to find out by trial and error.

kermac wrote:

And one more question - this is not clear in the Manual.  Can the values in a collection only be the ones already in the presets?  ie are you limited to a total of nine values in the four collections, just displayed in different combinations?  If more than nine, how do you input the labels for each value in a collection?  Do you use the boxes at the bottom of the Configurator?

The collections are not limited by the other presets. You can choose every value you want, as long as it comes from the same control unit.
There are three types of labels you can set with the configuration tool:
- labels for the relay outputs
- labels for the presets
- labels for measurement values

If you have configured labels for the values you put into a collection, the FIS-Control will show them. So you are right, use the boxes at the bottom of the configurator to label the values.

kermac wrote:

I pressed the reset button and turned on the ignition.  But nothing appeared on the screen.

That is normal. The FIS-Control will not show anything on the screen when it is on software loading mode.

To recover your FIS-Control, set it into software loading mode again:
- press and hold the reset button on the bottom of the wiper stalk and turn on the ignition
- use TeraTerm to send the firmware file to the FIS-Control

I assume that you changed the communication channel between the FIS-Control and the cluster. That's why the FIS-Control doesn't appear on the screen anymore.
To set it back again:
- press and hold the down button on the side of the wiper stalk and turn on the ignition
- press the up button one time
- restart the ignition (without holding any button)
- Now start the FIS-Control normally (long press on the up button)

kermac wrote:

I pressed the reset button and turned on the ignition.  But nothing appeared on the screen.

That is normal. The FIS-Control will not show anything on the screen when it is on software loading mode.

To recover your FIS-Control, set it into software loading mode again:
- press and hold the reset button on the bottom of the wiper stalk and turn on the ignition
- use TeraTerm to send the firmware file to the FIS-Control

I assume that you changed the communication channel between the FIS-Control and the cluster. That's why the FIS-Control doesn't appear on the screen anymore.
To set it back again:
- press and hold the down button on the side of the wiper stalk and turn on the ignition
- press the up button one time
- restart the ignition (without holding any button)
- Now start the FIS-Control normally (long press on the up button)

I did not change the communication channel.  The FIS-Control was not even in receive mode because there was nothing on the screen to read.

I tried to set it back again as above, in fact I tried several times.  But nothing happened.  The only thing I have on the screen is the ambient temp and distance to empty (both on the computer board - top part empty.  I cannot turn the display off with the reset button, nor can I change the bottom display (distance to empty) with the up or down buttons. Nothing seems to work.

Maybe I asked that before, but do you have an Android phone? The FIS-Control app is the easiest way to update the firmware and to set the communication channel.

11 (edited by kermac 2016-11-19 08:47:29)

No I don't have a smart phone at all.  My wife has an Android but I don't use it.  Can the app be downloaded to a laptop?

I have an overheating problem with the engine of my TT and I want to keep track of it on the cluster.  I can also check it on vcds with my laptop but that means carrying the laptop in the car all the time.

It's getting into our summer and the overheating is getting worse, so I am keen to get FIS-Control operating again. 

Is there a simple fix?  My cluster/DIS screen has been useless since I pressed the reset button on my washer stalk and turned on the ignition as suggested above.

No, the app only work on Android phones.

But of course you can use your laptop to update the FIS-Control.

Please follow the following steps. If the result is not as described, please ask me before you try anything else.
- turn off the ignition
- use TeraTerm to send the current  firmware file to the FIS-Control (http://fis-control.de/files/2016-11-12_-_fis_control.fw)
- after the file is transferred successfully, turn of the ignition

- reopen TeraTerm and connect to the COM port of the FIS-Control
-> you won't see the typical "C" letter in the TeraTerm windows, that is ok
- enter "CLEAR SETTINGS" in the TeraTerm window (without the double quotes) and press enter
-> you should see a confirmation in the TeraTerm windows, like "DONE"
- turn off the ignition
- turn on the ignition
- do a long press on the up key at the side of the wiper stalk
-> FIS-Control main menu should appear on the cluster screen

13 (edited by kermac 2016-11-20 00:35:25)

Please follow the following steps. If the result is not as described, please ask me before you try anything else.
- turn off the ignition
- use TeraTerm to send the current  firmware file to the FIS-Control (http://fis-control.de/files/2016-11-12_-_fis_control.fw)
- after the file is transferred successfully, turn of the ignition

- Done, but the cluster screen was still blank apart from board computer displays.  There was nothing on FIS Control to say it had received any data.

- reopen TeraTerm and connect to the COM port of the FIS-Control
-> you won't see the typical "C" letter in the TeraTerm windows, that is ok
- enter "CLEAR SETTINGS" in the TeraTerm window (without the double quotes) and press enter

I connected with the COM port (same port as before).  The screen was full of Cs.  I couldn't enter anything on the screen, couldn't delete the Cs.  I tried File - New Connection and re-set to another COM Port.  Same result.

-> you should see a confirmation in the TeraTerm windows, like "DONE"
- turn off the ignition
- turn on the ignition
- do a long press on the up key at the side of the wiper stalk
-> FIS-Control main menu should appear on the cluster screen

If you still see the "C" when you hold the down button (not the reset button), then the FIS-Control lost its firmware. First upload the firmware again.

Are you sure I can upload the firmware even when there is nothing on the cluster screen?  I can't set the FIS-Control to Receive data because I can't change the settings on he cluster screen.

Yes, I am sure ;-)
When you see the "C" in the Teraterm window -> send the firmware file.

17 (edited by kermac 2016-11-20 02:10:55)

OK - I sent the firmware file.  It took about 1 min 30 sec.  Then I switched off the ignition, pressed the down button, switched on the ignition, reopened TeraTerm.  The screen was blank, and I typed CLEAR SETTINGS. Nothing appeared on the Tera Term screen.  I assumed nothing was happening, but after trying this a few times I pressed enter anyway.  The screen almost immediately said USER SETTINGS CLEARED (or similar).

I then turned off the ignition, turned it on again and did a long press of the up button on the stalk.  Nothing changed!  I tried this a couple more times but still nothing.  I just have the outside temp and Kms to Empty, nothing else on the screen.

Ok, you are close now.

Do exactly the following:
- turn off the ignition
- press and hold the down key (not the reset key) and turn on the ignition
- press the up key one time
- wait about 5 seconds
- turn off the ignition

Next time you start the ignition, you should be able to start the FIS-Control with a long press on the up key.

Tried this (three times) exactly as you said. No change

Hm, I'm running out of ideas.

Are you able to operate the board computer with the wiper stalk?
Have you changed anything on the coding of the cluster?

No I can't operate the board computer.  The top screen is blank, the middle one shows Ambient Air temp, the lower one shows Distance Remaining to empty (both factory settings).  I can't change it, and I can't switch the screen off.

I don't know how to change the coding of the cluster.  The only thing I have done is to connect vcds (via cable) so I could watch my coolant temp. 

The cluster screen was working fine (without any Collection data, so with the earlier version of the firmware) until I pressed the reset button the first time and turned on the ignition a few days ago, I think on 17 Nov.  Since then the cluster screen has not changed and I have no FIS-Control data on the screen

Stefan

I'd like to get back to my earlier screen if that's possible.  If the new firmware isn't going to work, maybe we can find a solution in the future.  It would be great if I could get Collections working and have several values on the screen at the same time. 

In the meantime, I will settle for just one value on the screen and the ability to switch it on and off and to use my board computer as normal.

However, I think the problem was not in upgrading the firmware but in pressing the reset key and switching on the ignition.  That's when the system stopped working.

Hm, I'm running out of ideas.

Are you able to operate the board computer with the wiper stalk?
Have you changed anything on the coding of the cluster?

I said No, I hadn't changed the coding.  But of course I had to change the software coding when I first installed FIS-Control in the car, as stated in the installation instructions.

I checked my records and remembered I installed a cruise control several months ago.  To activate it, I had to enter 11463 in the Component field when connected to the engine module according to my installation notes.

Do you think this would have made any difference when I tried to install the new firmware?  I don't know enough about it to see if there could be a connection

Hi, you could try to load an old firmware to the FIS-Control. Use this one: http://fis-control.de/files/2015-10-04_-_fis_control.fw

The installation of the cruise control is unrelated to the function of the FIS-Control.

Pressing the reset button while turning on the ignition will set the FIS-Control to software loading mode for this life cycle.
On next ignition start, the FIS-Control is back in normal operation mode. So I don't see how this could cause a permanent problem.

I'm sorry that you have so much trouble with your FIS-Control unit. I will try to help as much as I can.
Is it possible to have a TeamViewer session or any other kind of remote session to your laptop while you are in the car?

It is almost midnight on Sunday night here and I need to go to work in the morning so I won't have much time to do anything to the car for a few days.

As you say, the problem seems to be that the FIS-Control has not gone back into normal operation mode.  Something has happened to lock the screen into a fixed position which I seem unable to recover from. 

Thank you for your help so far.  I would not have been able to get to this point without you - but on the other hand, whatever has happened has left me in a worse position than before.  I wonder if there is something unique about the electronics in the TT?  It is not a very common model and I realise that you did not support it until a few months ago.

I'm not sure how to arrange a remote session in the car - you mean a video-type transmission?  Or a data download of some kind?  I think a video will only show me putting the key in the ignition, pressing the reset button, turning the ignition on, pressing the up button etc.   Not much can go wrong there. 

I'm not very smart with computers, but installing the FIS-Control into the car was quite easy.  Much easier than the cruise control which I found very difficult.  Bad installation manual, trying to install micro pins into connectors almost too small to see, stuff that turned out different to what was supposed to happen.

I will do whatever I can to get FIS-Control working again, but I guess I'm going to need your ongoing help to do it.  I'll try loading the old firmware and see  if that works.  I may get some time tomorrow evening.

And so to bed...