Topic: FIS future

What is the status of this? Is it going to be available in some form either open source or commercial?

Re: FIS future

There are two options.

1. There is a German distributor of tuning parts, who wants to take care of the manufacturing and distribution of the FIS-Control. There are some pros and cons. The good thing is that the FIS-Control will be available again and there will be good support. On the other side I expect that the company will have to recalculate the price of the FIS-Control.

2. I published the PCB layout and the part list of the current FIS-Control and also the wiring diagrams of the cable sets. I could now also offer the mircocontroller with the pre-installed firmware. So it would be possible for everyone to build a working FIS-Control. Maybe people can organize a group buy for the PCBs, the enclosures and the cable sets to get better prices.
People from a German Audi A2 community already did that and there were no problems. There is also a cheaper version of the FIS-Control hardware that was developed by Rumpelstilzchen (he is a member of this forum). It is also compatible with the current FIS-Control firmware (but is missing some features). The drawback for you is, that you will have to organize the hardware your own and if there are any problems with it, I cannot help you.

For me, there is no big difference between the two solutions. In both cases I will offer the microcontroller with the FIS-Control firmware for a reasonable price. The difference is on your side. You either get a plug'n'play solution with warranty, or you will have to put some effort into the hardware.

The second option also allows distributors to manufacture a batch of units and to sell them to their customers.

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for replying to my email just a bit ago and sending me the hardware schematic.  I figured I would register and post here, for others that may have the same questions I have.

I opened the BRD PCB file you sent me via email, thank you.  Where can I find further information with a parts list and wiring diagrams of the cable sets?  I still think you have the best solution out there, and I am willing to give it a go,  building my own.  If you're willing to offer pre-loaded micro controllers, I would like to attempt to build a PCB from the information you published.

Thanks again

- Bob

I can pull a parts list thru Eagle, but it's rather obfuscated as I'm sure you know.  smile

I will prepare the parts list and all other needed information later this week.

Thanks again Stefan.  Once I can verify I can source all of the parts on your list, I'll order some boards and start fabbing!

Hi Stefan,

Let me just say im impressed with the time and effort you have put into the FIS-Control!

I would love to fabricate my own FIS-Control hence my post on this subject as I have noticed that you have taken down your post on the websites home page that stated you will post how to build the FIS-Control hardware?

I am also intrested in knowing if the FIS-Control works with the VW golf MKV clusters as the FIS-Control works with CANBUS im sure it would only need some firmware changes if its not supported?

The German distributor, I mentioned in the first post, contacted me again last week. Our plan right now is, to produce a small batch of units, to see how things work out.
If either the company, me or the customers are not satisfied with that solution, there is also plan B.

The Golf Mk5 is not supported, because I have not yet reverse engineered the CAN bus protocol. So you are right, it would "only" need a firmware update.

if the plan "A" did not go well, I'd be happy to try the plan b, I would gladly pay the software, you have made a great project!
German distributor gave you some timing?
Thank You

The German distributor got a sample unit from me. They want to install it in one of their cars. After that they want to order the parts to manufacture a small batch of units.
I can't give a better schedule right now. Normally the cable sets need the longest to be ready.. about 6 to 8 weeks. So don't expect the next units before April.

That's great news, thanks for the update Stefan!

Where can I find the part list? I work at an electronics factory and could build one with relative ease, provided the components not being too exotic.

I had the part list and the PCB layout on my website for a few days. Now that a company wants to take care of the manufacturing, I removed the files.

Which would be the price for the microcontroller and the schematics and list with  needed parts for A4 B6 with color FIS RB4??

The schematics will be available for free. The microcontroller will be about 50 Euros (+VAT +shipping).

This is good news. Will it be possible for me 2 help u develope firmware for different vag brands?

Really good news. I think there will be a lot of people that will buy the microcontroller. 50 euro is a fair price. Plus the other components and work.

Sven77 wrote:

This is good news. Will it be possible for me 2 help u develope firmware for different vag brands?

Do you have any information about the CAN bus protocols?

hi i would like to buy the microcontroller too when you put that for sale, i always prefer building my own things if i can instead of having a much more expensive plug'n'play solution smile

CrAzY_DrIveR wrote:

hi i would like to buy the microcontroller too when you put that for sale, i always prefer building my own things if i can instead of having a much more expensive plug'n'play solution smile

But don't underestimate the ammount of work. If you have no microscope and a soldering station with a really fine soldering tip you won't success.

Auch 'nen Zirkusclown ist Diebstahl!

i have been soldering smd chips for a few years but only the bigger ones do you have any picture of the stuff that needs solder? Just to see what kind of stuff we are talking about.

If he could sell this one but without cables, conectors and wires it would be great.

Ok, I thought you want to solder even the smd on the pcb.

Auch 'nen Zirkusclown ist Diebstahl!

stefan@fis-control wrote:

The schematics will be available for free. The microcontroller will be about 50 Euros (+VAT +shipping).

Good News! cool

many of us would like to access the wireless board .

Please be patient until the end of this week. Then I will decide, if I will publish the schematics.

I will not sell any boards, but with the schematics you can easily find a company that will manufacture them.