Topic: FIS-Control seems malfuntion when shipped.

Hi,

My friend bought a FIS-Control and I helped to install it on his Golf MK4 R32. After the installation, we switched on the ignition and found the up/down/set button on the wiper stalk did not work. No response at all. I tried flash the firmware to latest 2018/01/28 version and some old 2016 version which works on my MK4 R32, but the 3 button on wiper stalk still not work.

I tried use Android APP to config all kinds of coding of FIS Control, the button still not function.

At last, from the manual, I saw that it says Cable C bridges the wiper buttons, I tried disconnect the Cable C and used wires to connect C1 to C4, C2 to C5, C3 to C6. My up/down/set buttons works again!!

From various test I have done, the wiper is OK, the cluster is OK, the FIS-Control cable seems fine. It seems the FIS-Control accepted the coding, but every time I switched on the ignition, it was always in configuration mode. I don't have to hold the down button in the wiper stalk.

My friend bought two FIS-Control, we will test another set tomorrow to check if the issue only happen on current set.

Could you please help? Is there any other issues that I have to check? Thank you.

BRs,
Jeremy

Re: FIS-Control seems malfuntion when shipped.

Please use the FIS-Control app and do "FIS-Control: Telematics/3LB". This is the correct coding of the FIS-Control for the Golf Mk4.
Have you also set the software coding of the instrument cluster to "+16000"? If the current coding is below 16000, just add 16000 to it.

I recently added a troubleshooting chapter to the user's manual:
http://www.fis-control.de/manual.html#c73

Hi,

Yes, I did use the APP to config it to FIS-Control: Telematics/3LB, then I double checked it by using 'firmware version' function. It showed it has been configured as FIS-Control: Telematics/3LB, but still not work.

I also coded my cluster to 16510, but when I turned the ignition on, I can always see the Bluetooth of FIS-Control.

Like what it says in the troubleshooting, it seems the FIS-Control could not connect to the cluster.

I  tried flashed firmware to 2016 old version which has no auto detection of protocol used for FIS-Control, but the result is the same.

I will try to do some experiment by replacing the FIS-Control with another set to see if that works.

Isnthere any other way I can check? Thank you.

BRs,
Jeremy

Also please update the installation list of your CAN gateway. This is done by connecting VCDS to control unit 19.
Rewriting the current coding of the CAN gateway with the same value will trigger an update of the installation list.

Hi Stefan,

Finally, I got it works!
The communication channel between FIS-Control and cluster seems to be occupied by my radio (Delta 6) which uses CAN-BUS.

What I did to make it works:
1. I coded my cluster with 16510.
2. Configured the FIS-Control as 'telematics/3LB' by Android APP.
3. Removed the Delta 6 radio.
4. Recoded the Gateway.

In troubleshooting guide, it says 'For the VW Golf Mk4/Bora it is not possible to use the FIS-Control if a navigation system or radio is installed that sends data to the cluster screen via CAN bus.? Is this my case due to Delta 6 radio uses CAN-BUS?

It also says 'The FIS-Control automatically detects which bus to use, when the cluster is properly coded.'. How to make FIS-Control and Delta 6 Radio to work together in CAN-BUS mode on Golf MK4 R32? Thank you☺️

BRs,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

seems like there are some Mk4 clusters with different behaviour.
Some clusters enable the 3-wire-bus when their coding is above 16000, no matter if there is a radio with CAN bus installed or not.

You have found a car with different behaviour that is more like I know it from the VW Passat: The instrument cluster automatically decides which bus to use. If it sees some message from CAN bus, it ignores the 3-wire-bus.
So only way to make the FIS-Control work in 3-wire-bus mode is to remove the radio.

Actually the FIS-Control can also use the CAN bus. So it does not conflict with the radio. Unfortunately the cable set of the FIS-Control for the Mk4 does not include the CAN bus pins.

The CAN bus support for the VW clusters is not tested by many customers, yet. Most of them don't need it, because the 3-wire-bus works for them. So I would say it is in experimental state.

I also have not implemented graphics support, so you will not be able to show startlogos, boost bar graph, line diagrams and play snake.

If you want to try to connect the CAN bus, have a look at cable set 4 in the following document:
http://www.fis-control.de/files/kabel.pdf
You will see that your current cable does not have the "Info-CAN high/low" connector. You will have to connect the pins 8 and 9 of the green cable harness to the socket E of the FIS-Control yourself.

If this is done, you have to change the setting of your FIS-Control with the FIS-Contol app to "FIS-Control: DDP1.6".

Hi Stefan,

Sorry, I have to clarify that I swapped the cluster from Golf MK4 R32 MFA (1J0920826J) to Passat B5.5 GP FIS cluster (3C0920849).

Are the following statements correct?
1. Golf MK4 cluster: Only uses 3-wire-bus. Does not care about the CAN BUS messages.
2. Passat B5.5 cluster: Automatically decides which bus to use if it sees messages from CAN BUS.

As I know, many MK4 owners uses Passat B5.5 GP FIS cluster to upgrade their cluster from MFA to FIS one.
Mostly 3C0920849 since it is cheaper and easier to find.
If FIS-Control could support CAN BUS and graphics function on VW clusters, it would be great.

I will try to connect the CAN BUS cable by my own in the following weeks to see how it works and report you if any issues found.

Thank you for your prompt reply and detailed response :-)

BRs,
Jeremy

Your first statement is not completely correct. The Golf cluster can also use CAN bus. As far as I understand you can select if it runs in 3-wire-bus or CAN bus mode via the software coding: below 16000 is for CAN bus, else it is 3-wire-bus.

I am not sure if it is possible to do graphics via CAN bus for the VW clusters. This is different to the Audi clusters.

Dear Stefan,

Is there any cable sets that on sale support Canbus on GOLF MK4?
I would like to buy one instead of rework the cable for socket E by my own. Thank you :-)

BRs,
Jeremy

Unfortunately no.

I'll add in that I would also be interested in seeing graphic support over CANBUS. I can only assume there must be some support, as the TMC/MFD, and Touareg RNS2 writes arrows, etc to the FIS via CANBUS. Not sure how many requests you typically need to start looking into a feature, but I'm sure a few of us OEM+ modders would appreciate it.