1 (edited by incarvr6 2015-01-10 00:11:06)

Topic: VW Passat W8 FIS Control on CAN with other devices

Hi! For a while i whas waiting for CAN version and missed that it is redy.

Now reading trough manual ther is confusion!

The main question is it possible to have working FIS Control in CAN mode with other devices?

My current setup  is 3B7920946 cluster with MFD G, tunerbox and original phone controled from MFSW.
I have speant loads of effort,money and time to get working oem phone so i don't want to lose it, but i want FIS Control smile

Re: VW Passat W8 FIS Control on CAN with other devices

Hi,
the FIS-Control only uses CAN in the Audi and Seat Exeo, not in the VW Passat. Though I have never tested it myself, I heard that it is no problem to have both (the FIS-Control and the MFD G) installed. This depends on the installed cluster.  Some clusters of the Passat automatically detect if the CAN bus or 3-wire-bus has to be used. The 3B0920946 should be one of them.
This means, when you turn on the ignition, and the MFD G is the first device that sends data to the cluster, the cluster will switch to CAN. If you turn on the ignition and immediately start the FIS-Control, the cluster will switch to 3-wire-bus.
Your setup (MFD, phone, MFSW) seems very complex. I don't think that anyone has tried the FIS-Control with this before.
I could send you a FIS-Control for testing, but I can't sell it to you, even if it works, because I don't have any units left for sale at the moment.

3 (edited by incarvr6 2015-01-10 00:12:50)

Original phone feature whas the main reasone to swap MFD from D to G with tunerbox (can gateway) to comunicate over CAN and swap MFSW control unit to CAN version, and replace buttons on steering wheel with phone control.

Phone ecu works only on CAN, and if cluster is coded to CAN it won't switch back to 3LB without recoding even if CAN device is disconected. I know that for 100% othervice i would keep my original MFD D.

Speaking about Audi convinience CAN as far as i know is different with VW, but i might be wrong on that. At least i know that Audi tunerbox (gateway) dose not work with VW MFD and VW instrument cluster. Hardware is the same,but firmware is different.

In manual it is mentioned that FIS Control is recognised as telematic. I could not found enny info or diagrams in ELSAWIN regarding telematic instaled on 3BG Passat, but i have seen online some pictures with data on VW MFA screen from telematic.

Yes i noticed that you are not selling them for now, but im realy tempted to tray it.

The FIS-Control will not work in CAN-bus mode in the Passat. No need to try that.