Topic: No communication to any control module

Hi,

I got FIS-control about 2 months ago (Audi A4 B6 2004 with color DIS). First it was working perfectly, then gradually communication problems became more and more frequent. Now I cannot connect to any control module. FIS-control menu is available normally and I can connect to FIS-control via Android app as well. I have the latest firmware 2022-12-24 installed and all the wires are connected correctly.

Tried so far:
- Through the Android app both Telematics and Navigation as communication method - no success
- Erased all the settings - no success

Do you have any idea what is causing the issue?

Thank you!

Re: No communication to any control module

Hi, do you have plugged anything to your OBD2 socket? If yes, please unplug.

Could you reset the settings, recycle the ignition and then go to ECU INFO in the main menu of the FIS-Control. The FIS-Control should connect to the diagnostic service of the instrument cluster and will show the part number of teh cluster instruement.
Does this work? If not, is there any error message?

3 (edited by Cassu 2023-06-23 19:51:31)

Hi,

Nothing plugged in the OBD-socket.

I did what you suggested, but when going to Ecu info it just gives the warning: OBD-ERROR, Communication with control module failed.

As you told that it worked before, I could maybe think of a loose contact in the wiring harness.
The OBD connection is on Pin B1 of the FIS-Control (see here: https://fis-control.de/files/kabel.pdf)

Maybe you could look at the cable harness to check that none of the pins are broken. Or you could even check the connection with a multimeter.

5 (edited by Cassu 2023-06-30 09:00:02)

Thank you for quick responses! smile

I measured pin B1 with multimeter and it shows 0,8 Ohm to pin 7 of the green connector counted from the direction of red arrow in the attached image. All wires and connectors look ok with eyeballing method.

Checked once again that ECU INFO gives still the same error message.

Post's attachments

20230630_091823_connector.jpg 1.52 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Ok, so the FIS-Control does not connect to control module "17 INSTRUMENT CLUSTER" and also not to "01* ENGINE".

This is really strange, because I would expect that at least one of the connections work. The instrument cluster is connect via K-Line that is on socket B of the FIS-Control. And the engine control unit in your car uses CAN bus, that is on socket F of the FIS-Control.

Could you please check the wiring of your FIS-Control? Maybe you could take a picture of how the cables are plugged to the FIS-Control box.

7 (edited by Cassu 2023-06-30 21:37:19)

Please find a photo of the wiring as attached.

Meanwhile I deleted and re-flashed the firmware, but the same situation remains.

There is an external oil pressure sensor connected to analog input 5. Is it possible that it could cause issues? I will try by disconnecting it in couple of days anyways.

Post's attachments

20230630_223648.jpg 491.34 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hi, the external sensor should not have any effect to the OBD communication.

I am really running out of ideas. Especially that you tell that the problems slowly bacame more frequent.

Where are you located? Maybe I could offer to send a replacement cable harness or even a FIS-Control box to you for testing. Just to find where the problem is.

Hi,
I'm located in Helsinki Finland.
We can continue in email for more details.
Thank you!

Hi,

Just to close the case:
The root cause was my failed trial of bridging the brake pad warning permanently directly in the wiring harness with a jump wire. After the wire was removed everything started to work again.

Big thanks for Stefan for great support! smile