1 (edited by akoshok 2020-08-04 03:51:20)

Topic: Help coding an 8N TT

Hi,

I got the FIS-Control unit installed to the cluster.  Next, I am trying to set it up.

I tried both with VCDS and WBH-Diag to go into instruments and change channel 62 to 15 as per the manual.  Both systems give me an error when I try that value.  If I read it again, I get the original value set, which is 3.  I can increase the value up to 8, but no more.

Do I have to change the soft coding, too?  As is, the soft coding is 07244.  But I am unable to change that as well.  I attempted to change it to 23244 but again when I go back to read the value it is unchanged.

My cluster number is 8N1 920 980

Appreciate any hints.  I spent about 2 hours so far, reading and watching anything I can find that is related.

Many thanks.

Re: Help coding an 8N TT

Hi, seems like your instrument cluster does not support the telematics channel.

If you do not have a navgation system installed, the FIS-Control can also use the navigation channel instead.
For that, set the coding of the adaptation channel 62 to "7".
And also change the coding of the FIS-Control to "FIS-Control: Navigation". This can either be done with the FIS-Control App for Android. Or by holding the down key of the wiper control stalk while turning on the ignition and then pressing the up button one time.

Yes, I do not have a navigation system installed.  I set channel 62 to 7 and I was able to see the menu.
Next, I followed the video : Configuration of the FIS-Control , and uploaded the file.  Now I do not see the menu at all.
Any ideas on how to get the menu to show up again?

Check your config file. You have to set the "CAN bus channel" to "Navigation" there as well.

To get the FIS-Control visible again, you can do the same trick with the wiper stalk buttons as explained above.

Understood.  I used the telematics option, instead of Navigation.  My mistake.  Holding the down key of the wiper control stalk while turning on the ignition and then pressing the up button one time does not seem to work for me.  I tried it a few times, and cannot get the menu to show.  I will see if I can find an Android phone and use it instead.

To be clear, turning on the ignition means to start the car?

The Android app is the best solution, but you can solve your current problem without it.

First solution:
Send a corrected config file to the FIS-Control. Press and hold the down button while turning on the ignition (no need to start the engine). Now you can open TeraTerm on your Laptop and type SEND SETTINGS folowed by the enter key in the terminal window. You will not see what you are typing. This is normal. Now you should see the letter C arriving once per second in TeraTerm. Now you can send your config file via File->Transfer->Xmodem->Send.

Second solution:
Hold the down key of the wiper stalk while turning on the ignition (no need to start the engine).
Press the up button once.
Turn off the ignition.
Turn on the ignition.
Try to start the FIS-Control with a long press to the up key.
-> If it does not work, repeat all steps for about 3 times.

I got it to work.  This was helpful.  Many thanks.
Say, is there a good file as a starting point I can use?
There are many nice features, so I was thinking to start from a template.

No, there are no templates. But if you got a good config file, please feel free to post it here as reference for others.

Sure Stefan.  I will take some time over the weekend to make a few files, then do a write up about it.

I do have an RNS-E that I will retrofit.  Anything I need to do so that my FIS-Control continues to work?

Hi,

as your cluster does not provide the telematics channel, the FIS-Control and the RNS-E have to share the navigation channel.
This was a problem for a long time. But now it can be solved with a firmware update of the RNS-E.
More information: https://fis-control.de/manual.html#c23

Hi Stefan,

I just installed the RNS-E.

The site you mentioned: https://rnse.pcbbc.co.uk/downloads_na.php does not offer Firmware for North America.
I contacted Stuart and offering to help him test any NA firmware on my car.

Is there another solution?  I saw this: https://fis-control.de/punBB/viewtopic.php?id=470 , I trust it refers to this:
https://fis-control.de/punBB/viewtopic.php?id=96

Right now, I do not see FIS-Control, or Navigation information in the DIS.

If Stuart can't help, the only other good solution is to install the CAN-Bridge.

Hi Stefan,

Stuart is a top guy.  He got me firmware that works on the units I have.
The FIS-control works for a few minutes then the screen freezes.

I followed the instructions that Stuart detailed: Settings→User Mods→CAN Bridge.

Can you help me debug this?

-Ahmed

Hi, is the coding of the FIS-Control correct? Please go to ABOUT at the bottom of the FIS-Control main menu.
The correct channel is "IF: MONO NAV". Is this shown there, or something different?

Yes, it is as you describe: IF: MONO NAV

Sorry, at the moment I have no explanation for the freezes.

Can you give me more information, when they happen? In which view is the FIS-Control?
Does it also happen in other screens? Does it only happen, when there are a lot of changes on the screen?

I have 2 presents, one turbo, and the other with a collection of 6 readings.  It freezes on both but in no predictable time.   I tried to do a lot of changes on the screen by going to the user mods menu and moving a lot, and I managed to make it freeze.  I also switched between the two presets fast, and again made it freeze.

Then I went for a short ride, and left it in the preset with a collection.  It froze after a few minutes.

Sounds like it has something to do with the refresh rate...

Hm, I don't have an idea about what is wrong.
Would it be too much effort, to completely unplug the RNS-E for a test?
I just want to make sure, that there are no conflicting CAN messages from the RNS-E.

Sure, I tried it out before with a 192 RNS-E and it worked.  Maybe I did not test it enough.  Both units run the same firmware.  I will test it without any RNS-E and then with the 192 unit.

Stuart tells me that changes the CANID that the RNS-E sends to the cluster on.  Will share once I do some testing.

Hi Stefan,

I put in the 192 unit and it is very stable.  So I wonder if there is something the 193 unit does with the US firmware that somehow FIS does not like.  Not sure where to go from here, I will share this information with Stuart and see if he finds anything based on this information.

Hi Stefan,

I am trying to log the ECU via a tool from my tuner.  It connects via USB to the OBDII port and has a windows based software.
It keeps failing to log the ECU or even connect to it if the engine is running.  Strange, since I was able to read the ECU when the engine is not running.  Is FIS-control interfering with it?

If so, is there a way to work around this to allow the logging via the OBDII port?

Hi,

the OBD port is occupied by the FIS-Control as long as it reading data from an ECU.
In order to use the OBD port, just leave any active measurement in the FIS-Control by closing the FIS-Control screen. As soon as you see the normal board computer in your cluster, the FIS-Control will make the OBD port available for other diagnostic tools.